Any questions?

For you?

Do you want to change the world and make a difference? Are you interested in international public policy; leadership? Then International Public Policy and Leadership (IPPL) is the program for you.

The world is changing at a faster pace than ever before. We need game-changers who can think on their feet and unravel the big issues. This could drafting a policy brief, developing an impact campaign,  documentary, grant-writing or pitching a grassroots project or hitting the ground running at a governmental ministry or at an NGO (or even starting one). 

We have many key international organizations and NGOs on our doorstep (in The Hague, the City of Peace and Justice), which means you can ‘hit the ground running’ and apply your new hands-on skills in the field. You will be in the heart of a rich international community - both in the city and the diverse classroom.

At International Public Policy and Leadership (IPPL) students learn by doing and adopt an entrepreneurial way of thinking, seeking the right answers along the way. We believe so much in this hands on learning approach, we emphasize the learning of key professional products that will help you learn the skills you will need to find a job and make a difference. In fact, this focus on hands on professional products has led us to allow you to graduate by choosing a professional products track or a thesis track. 

The professional products track asks you to complete a total of 5 professional products (one in each category: evaluation, policy advice, advocacy, project based working, and organization and management) while completing your specializations or internships in year 3 and 4. If you still prefer to do a traditional bachelor thesis, you are free to do so, but this is no longer required for graduation.

Admission requirements

You have a Dutch diploma
Vooropleiding Vereiste profiel
  • C&M
  • E&M
  • N&G
  • N&T
  • C&M
  • E&M
  • N&G
  • N&T
Mbo Niveau 4, middenkader- of specialistenopleiding

To begin the International Public Policy and Leadership degree programme, you need a HAVO or VWO diploma in the correct subjects (listed below). You can also apply with a MBO diploma (level 4), if you fit the right profile.

You have a non-Dutch diploma

International Public Policy and Leadership is a four-year university of applied sciences degree. To qualify, you’ll need a high school qualification equivalent to a Dutch HAVO. Before we can decide on your eligibility, we’ll need to assess your certificate/diploma. To do this fairly, we work directly with NUFFIC, an external organisation that assesses international qualifications for all Dutch Institutions of Higher Education.

Language requirements

If you were not educated in the Netherlands you usually have to submit a language test to be admitted. Depending on the type and country of your diploma you may however qualify for exemption. Please check our entry requirements page for more information.


Don’t meet the entry requirements?

Perhaps your academic background is not quite the right level. Or you need some help improving your English skills. Don’t worry. There might be some alternative options to help you get in, and prepare yourself for a successful start of your studies at The Hague University of Applied Sciences (THUAS).

Admissions Test 21+
If you’re 21 years old before 1 September 2022, but don’t have a diploma or a qualification that meets the entry requirements, you can take the 21+ Admissions Test. The 21+ Admissions Test is offered at several dates between January and the start of the academic year, and consists of a digital general capacity test. Please note that you can only participate if you have an EEA-nationality or residence permit for the Netherlands that is valid on the test date.

English Academic Preparation Programme
Need help with your English? If you haven’t quite reached the right level of English for your chosen Bachelor’s or Master’s degree programme, you can enrol for English Academic Preparation Programme. After the successful completion of this programme, you’ll be ready to start your degree at THUAS and you will already have a good taste of studying and living in the Hague.

Decisions regarding your qualification for admission

There are no exceptions to the official admission requirements. The Enrolment Office is the only party that can make decisions regarding your qualification for admission based on official regulations. You can’t rely on any other sources of information for your qualification for admission.

Degree programme in figures

hours of lectures per week
hours of independent study per week
hours of projects per week
credits per year

Degree programme content

What will you study each year?
Year 1
Year 2
Year 3
Jaar 4
Working methods

 Lectures, seminars, study visits, self-study, group activities and project work

We’ll teach you how to unravel the big issues with practical know-how, both in the classroom and on group assignments. Our student organisation, Agora, organises trips and guest lectures, connecting with 150 UNESCO partner universities around the globe. We also organise yearly visits to important European institutions.


Shape your degree

Take a minor and give your degree that extra cutting edge. You can take your pick from a long list of minors offered by other THUAS departments, partner institutions in the Netherlands or abroad if you meet the entry requirements. Minors relevant to IPPL include:

  • Making Peace Not War: Sustainable Peace and Conflict Resolution

In this minor we look at causes of conflict, responses to conflict, crucial institutions in peacebuilding and the lesser-known players, indigenous groups, women, civil society and youth.

  • Globalisation, Governance and Development

Whenever scientists and political leaders talk about humanity’s situation and outlook, the chances are they’ll explicitly or implicitly refer to globalisation, governance and development. This minor helps understand their meanings, theories and trends.

  • Influencing Public Policy

How do you give citizens and organisations a voice, or make sure that siloed public officials listen to policies? This minor looks at using collective bargaining and campaigning to fix public policies.

  • Peacebuilding, Justice and Human Rights

In this minor you’ll compare and contrast the more traditional state-oriented, top-down approaches to peacebuilding with regional, local and indigenous practices, then put them into practice.

  • Challenges to European Governance

This minor explores EU policy from a multi-level governance perspective. We’ll look at the impact of EU policy at municipal, national and international levels.

At work

Is there anything I cannot be after I graduate?

IPPL gives you a range of skills which you can put to use in professional practice. We try to keep your job options open in the rapidly changing job market. We have provided some suggestions below, but there are myriad possibilities, depending on your strengths.


What you will become

  • Programme/project manager
  • Consultant
  • Analyst
  • Human resource assistant
  • Manager/team leader  
  • Communications advisor/manager
  • Accountant
  • Entrepreneur
  • Civil servant
  • Stakeholder relations advisor

Continue studying 

More than 60% of IPPL graduates go on to post-graduate courses. If you’re hoping to take an international master’s degree, you should be able to do so without a bridging qualification.
However, its best to check your chosen institution’s entry requirements.

Please note that academic universities in the Netherlands require a pre-master’s programme after graduating from the hands-on IPM degree. You can follow in the footsteps of 63% of our graduates and complete a pre-master’s degree in year three to pursue the Public Administration masters at Leiden University. Bear in mind that you may need to meet certain grade requirements, for example, an average grade of 7.5.

Other graduates go on to master’s degrees in subjects like International Relations or War and Conflict Studies (8%), Crisis and Security Management (5%), Cyber/IT studies or Law.

Practical information

What else do you need to know?
How to apply

Your enrolment request must be submitted through Studielink. Before you do, please check the official name of the programme below. Would you like to find out more about the application process first? Check our page How to apply The key deadlines are listed here as well. This degree programme starts in September and there is no intake in February.

Official details of the programme

This degree programme is registered by the Central Register of Higher Education Programmes (CROHO) as follows:

  • Official Dutch name: Bestuurskunde/Overheidsmanagement 
  • Official international name: Public Administration 
  • Programme code (Isat): 34464 
  • Institution code (Brin): 27UM

Both the official Dutch and international names of the degree programme (at the time of your graduation) will be printed on your certificate.

More information on IPM programme accreditation by Accreditation Organisation of the Netherlands and Flanders (NVAO)  

More information on Programme and Examination Regulations

Facts and figures on the programme 

More information on Covid-19 measures

Study guide

The study guide is a collection of all kinds of practical information about the study programme, such as an annual plan and a substantive description of the various subjects. The required literature is also included in the course descriptions. We are still working on our new curriculum, not all the courses mentioned, will be given next year. 

See the study guide here

Tuition fee

You’ll have to pay your tuition fees when you enrol on the IPPL programme. You can pay in one or more instalments. If you pay in instalments a small administration fee is charged.


Student finance
Dutch students automatically qualify for loan support. International students may be eligible if they have lived in the Netherlands for at least five years, or are employed for at least 56 hours per month.

Additional costs
Don’t forget to budget for your books, excursions and field trips. You can expect to pay approximately €800 per year to cover these costs. During your semester abroad, you’ll also need to pay for travel, housing and insurance.

Visas, residence permits and housing

More information for parents
Find out how you can support your son or daughter when choosing the right study programme, during the application process and sorting out accommodation and visas. 

Need help making a decision

We would like to help you make the right decision

It takes a bit of thought and research to find the right programme. The Hague University of Applied Sciences organizes various activities throughout the year to give you the best possible idea of the various studies offered. You also learn what it’s like to study at THUAS. This way, you can click on the registration button without a doubt in mind. Or you’ll know for certain it’s not right for you.  

Walk in at our Study & Career Centre for… 

Help in choosing your study

A meeting with a study choice counsellor

A study choice workshop

Assistance during your studies

Study coaching and advice

In years one and two, you’ll be paired up with a mentor (a lecturer from the IPPL department) to support you through the academic year. As well as being your ‘go to’ person, they’ll help you develop your time management skills, provide general study advice and guide your career choices. In year one, mentoring is part of the Professional Skills module, so it’s mandatory to meet your mentor regularly. For more information about student counsellors/student psychologists, high-performance sports, Dutch language support or studying with a functional disability, go to our page about support during your studies.

Binding Study Advice (BSA)

To continue your degree programme after the first year, you need to earn 50 of the 60 credits (EC or Credits). In some cases, the degree programme may also require that you pass a specific subject as the European part of the credit requirements. We call this a qualitative requirement. If you meet the credit requirements as well as the qualitative requirement where applicable, you will receive a positive binding study advice (BSA) from the Examination Board at the end of your first year and you will be able to continue your degree programme.

If you earn less than 50 credits or don’t meet the qualitative requirements where applicable, you will receive a negative binding study advice and will have to leave the degree programme. This is why this advice is called a Negative Binding Study Advice (NBSA). 

Your academic progress may be affected by personal circumstances such as illness or the professional practice of a sport. It is important that you inform the Examination Board immediately of any personal circumstances that might apply to you. The Board can take these into account when issuing its study advice.

Read all the rules for the binding study advice in Chapter 7 of the Education and Examination Rules and Regulations (OER) for your degree programme.