Many students wish to work while they are studying at The Hague University of Applied Sciences. Students from most European Union countries can do so without needing a work permit (in Dutch: Tewerkstellings-vergunning, TWV).

Students from outside the EU, as well as students from new member states of the EU generally need a TWV. With this TWV, these students are allowed to work a maximum of 16 hours a week during the academic year or three months fulltime in summer. Your employer has to apply for your TWV.

Health insurance and jobs

You need to be aware that as soon as you become economically active, e.g. get a part-time job or paid internship, you are obliged to take out the Dutch basic healthcare insurance. If you do not meet this requirement you risk a huge fine. This is applicable for both EU and NON-EU/EEA students.

Check the Study in Holland page for more information about working while studying.

Please also check the Insurance Checklist: Healthcare