The global ageing of the urban population calls for more age-friendly cities tailored to the wishes and needs of older adults and offering them every opportunity to participate in society. The research group Urban Ageing, together with national and European partners, will investigate the age-friendliness of four European cities during the three-year project City & Co: Older Adults Co-Creating a Sustainable Age-friendly City.
The research consists of translating the Age-Friendly Cities and Communities Questionnaire (AFCCQ) developed in The Hague for use in Poland and Romania, followed by conducting surveys in four cities (The Hague, Wrocław, Kraków and Bucharest). There will also be an online platform where older citizens themselves can indicate how the age-friendliness of their neighbourhood can be improved. The results of the research will help municipalities to make their cities, districts and neighbourhoods more age-friendly. The project City & Co started in March 2022.
The Urban Ageing Research Group is leading the research.
Our partners in the Netherlands are:
- Municipality of The Hague
- Vereniging van Nederlandse Gemeenten (Association of Dutch Municipalities)
In Poland, we work together with:
- Jagiellonian University in Kraków
- Wroclaw University of Environmental and Life Sciences
- Municipality of Wrocław
- Municipality of Kraków
In Romania, we work together with:
- National University of Political Studies and Public Administration in Bucharest
- NGO Grupul de Educație și Acțiune pentru Cetățenie (GEAC)
The project is funded by the ERA-NET Cofund Urban Transformation Capacities (ENUTC) Call, within the framework of the European Commission's Joint Programming Initiative Urban Europe. The project size is over EUR 700,000. The Dutch part of the research was co-funded by Regieorgaan SIA, part of the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO).
- Validation of the Age-Friendly Cities and Communities Questionnaire (AFCCQ): full speed ahead - WHO, September 2023
- THUAS honoured in transnational UTC call, website Taskforce for Applied Research SIA
- 16 projects recommended for funding in ERA-NET Cofund Urban Transformation Capacities (ENUTC), website Urban Europe