This Q&A contains some more COVID-19 related questions. We hope this answers your questions as much as possible. For questions or appointments around studying or work, you are always referred to the relevant degree programme, department or manager. Can't find your question in this Q&A? See here where you can ask your question.

drie studenten in een vergadering

Hygiene measures

What hygiene measures is THUAS implementing?

The Hague University of Applied Sciences is implementing hygiene measures, according to the RIVM guidelines.

Are facemasks mandatory and when should I wear one?

Facemask are not mandatory. The government still advises wearing a face mask in crowded areas. We assume that everyone will act wisely with this advice. The general advice remains valid. This is as follows:  

  • If you have symptoms, get tested and don't come to the university of applied sciences.
  • Take a self-test twice regularly.
  • Wash your hands regularly.
  • Cough and sneeze into your elbow.
  • Ventilate rooms as much as possible.
  • Get a vaccine or booster shot if required.
Does THUAS have a ventilation system that minimizes the spread of COVID-19?

Based on latest expert research, changes to our ventilation system are not required. The ventilation system complies with the safety requirements and is subject to regular maintenance.

The ventilation system at THUAS DOES NOT re-circulate air back into the buildings. Our system uses so called ‘’F-7’’ filters to filter out coarse to very fine particles, which in comparison to the previous F5 filter shows greater efficacy.

Filters are replenished every Summer, even though they have not reached their end of life cycle. Also, the filter boxes are disinfected from the inside. Samples are being extracted from both the inside and outside of the filter boxes for further laboratory analysis. On the basis of the most recent scientific insights brought forwarded by The National Institute for Public Health and the Environment of the Netherlands (RIVM), it has been confirmed that no further measures regarding air conditioning across the buildings of THUAS are necessary.


Where do I find more information about self-tests?

On the website of the Dutch governement you will find general information on self-tests.

Is it mandatory for students and staff to use a self-test?

No, the use of self-tests is always voluntary and done independently. Gaining access to in-person education is not conditional upon the individual student or staff member taking a self-test. Students therefore do not need to provide proof of a test to gain admission to the THUAS campus.

When exactly should I take a self-test?

In higher education, self-tests for both students and employees are designated for preventative use. This means that these tests can be taken as a precaution, even if you don’t show any symptoms of COVID-19. It is highly recommended to take a self-test prior to participating in on-site education activities. 

You shouldn’t take a self-test if you’re already having symptoms of COVID-19 or have been in close proximity to a person who tested positive for COVID-19. In this case, you’ll need to get tested at a public health facility (a GGD). For more information, please visit this website of the Dutch Government

What should I do if the result of the self-test is positive?

If you test positive from a self-test, please get in touch with a public health facility (a GGD) to schedule a PCR test (for details on how to make an appointment and view your test results can be found on this website). Of course, avoid all contact as you’re awaiting the result.

Can I also do self-test if I am having symptoms?

THUAS applies the principles of the Dutch government. This means that you can always go to for the latest situation. Especially now that the situation is proving to be very changeable, it’s wise to keep an eye on this website for the most recent status.


COVID-19 Health complaints and self-quarantine

I am a student or employee, and I have tested positive on COVID-19, or I am sick, or I need to quarantine. What do I do?

The number of infections within our university of applied sciences will no longer be centrally registered. We used to keep track of the number of infections at the request of the GGD to keep an eye on possible clusters, this is no longer necessary.

However, we shall still ask all our students and colleagues to report to their degree programme or to their manager if they are infected and have been at our campuses during the contagious period (two days prior to the symptoms appearing or a positive self-test result). Classmates or colleagues can thus be informed that they have been in contact with someone who has been infected, so that they can keep a watchful eye on their own health and notice any symptoms early.  

For employees: I have received a notification of a student or colleague that has tested positive on COVID-19. What do I do?

Inform the students and colleagues that have been in contact with someone who has been infected, so that they can keep a watchful eye on their own health and notice any symptoms early.

How to act when given an urgent advice to self-quarantine?


We urge you to stick to that advise, and therefore not come to THUAS during that 10 day period. Quarantining is not something you do for you, you do it to protect your loved ones, your fellow students and the more vulnerable people in our society. Only by carefully following all measures, of which the self-quarantine is a vital part, can we prevent the virus from spreading.

Are you worried about missing (parts of) your study program that are only offered in physical form? Please contact your study program as soon as possible, they can help you look for possible solutions and alternatives.

Studying Exams

What happens if I miss a exam because of corona/corona policy (quarantine or symptoms)?

If you are unable to take the physical exam at school because of corona (policy), take part in the next regular resit if this is still offered in this academic year. If the regular resit examination is no longer offered in the current academic year, contact your study programme and ask for the possibility of taking the test during the current academic year. If this possibility is not offered, go and see the Dean and, if possible, take along proof of the fact that you were unable to attend the previous exam due to corona-related reasons (for example a recovery certificate, results of your own corona PCR or self test or that of your housemates). Subsequently, submit a request for an extra opportunity to the Examination Board through OsirisZaak. The Examination Board will then weigh the importance of the request and make a decision. You will be notified of this decision via OsirisZaak.

Please note that if you have any corona related symptoms during the exam, you may be removed from the exam.

What should I do if I am unable to take a physical test for reasons other than corona?

The regular policy as described in article 4.11 section 5 of the OER will then apply.

International students

Are international students eligible for a COVID-19 vaccine in the Netherlands?

If you are not yet vaccinated and would like to get vaccinated, you can get vaccinated without an appointment. Online you can find a location finder to check out which location is closest to your address. When searching on city, please enter Den Haag (in Dutch). Should you already have a BSN number, don’t forget to bring it with you to the appointment. 

In many cases you will need a coronavirus entry pass to go to a bar or restaurant, an event or other leisure activities. Check if you need to show the coronavirus entry pass for your chosen activity or event.   

If you are visiting the Netherlands and would like to attend an activity, you can use your EU Digital COVID Certificate (DCC) for this purpose. For instance, a DCC that is proof of vaccination or proof of recovery of COVID-19. If you don't have a DCC, you will need a negative test result to attend.  

See also Visiting the Netherlands and attending an activity.

I am already vaccinated and would like to verify my vaccination in order to get a Dutch QR-code 

Most people won't have any trouble retrieving their data via the CoronaCheck app or But some people may find that more difficult, because they have been vaccinated outside the Netherlands. 

I am an EU citizen 

If you are an EU citizen and you were vaccinated in the European Union, you are entitled to a Digital COVID Certificate (DCC) from the country where you were vaccinated.

I am a non-EU citizen

On the website Getting proof of vaccination after being vaccinated outside the Netherlands under 'I have been fully vaccinated outside the EU and I have proof of vaccination', you can find all the information about validating your vaccination in the Netherlands.


How will I be informed about developments in the coronavirus measures?

As these measures are set by the government we cannot determine which measures will be implemented , nonetheless you will be informed by email of anything is deemed relevant to you. If you would also like to stay up to date with what is happening regarding these please visit the Dutch government’s website on the coronavirus COVID-19.

I am nervous about travelling to The Netherlands or attending in-person classes so can I follow online classes instead?

The safety of all our students and staff is our prime concern and we will only be offering in-person classes if we are sure that we can do this safely. We will be closely adhering to the health and safety rules of the National Institute for Public Health. We therefore expect all students to be present unless there are valid health reasons or travel restrictions that prevent them from being present.

Should I book accommodation?

As all students are expected to be present during the start of their programme, it is also important to have arranged your accommodation before your arrival. THUAS offers a housing service to its first year international students, more information about this service may be found on our housing page.

Will I need to go into quarantine/self isolation on arrival? Will I need to take a test before travelling to The Netherlands?

It is not possible for us to say at this point as these are measure decided upon by the Dutch government and will also depend upon where you are travelling from. We will be closely monitoring the situation. We advise you to regularly check the checklist for travel to The Netherlands from the Dutch government.

Will I need to provide proof of having received a coronavirus vaccination or a negative coronavirus test result to the university?

No, the university will not ask you for either of these. At the moment, the Dutch government does not require proof of vaccination to enter The Netherlands. On the other hand, being vaccinated does not exempt you from having to self-quarantine either as you might still be infected with COVID-19. We advise you to regularly check the checklist for travel to The Netherlands from the Dutch government in case requirements change.

Working from home

What are the guidelines for working from home?

Covid has accelerated hybrid working. We want to incorporate the lessons learned from this period into the design and layout of our work and facilitate this as best as possible as an institution. In the update following the press conference on Tuesday 15 March we indicated that with the ending of the work-from-home advice we can once again work live at THUAS as much as possible. We understand that this post has raised many questions. Therefore, we would like to explain further.

The following principles form the basis of our work:

  1. The quality of education and research and the well-being of students and staff are central;
  2. Agreements about specific work situations should be made together with your team and your supervisor.

1. The connection with students and with each other is central
With the ending of the work-from-home advice, the locations of THUAS will once again become the bases for our work. We have all experienced how important meeting each other is for co-operation, knowledge exchange and bonding. This contributes to the quality of our work, of our university of applied sciences. We are happy that we can make that possible again. We think it is important that every colleague is present at school on a regular basis, in order to be able to have these meetings. Depending on the nature of the work and function, the possibility of working from home for part of the working time will also remain. Agreements about this are made in a team and with the supervisor, as indicated in the Haags Werken.

Working again at THUAS requires everyone's attention for "reboarding": shaping together a new working environment of which hybrid working remains a part. Take the time to get used to it together.

2. Agreements on your specific situation should be made together with your supervisor and your team,
The supervisors have a central role in guiding their teams in this new phase and make agreements about the reboarding together with their team. In the Management Team of a faculty or service, these principles are regularly put on the agenda, and in case of questions and advice, supervisors can contact their HRM Business Partner.

The following practical matters are being worked on:

  • THUAS is increasing the facilities for hybrid working;
  • Travel expenses/work-from-home allowance scheme will be re-established in line with the new circumstances.

For further information and possibilities for support, you can also visit the Back@school page. The Zestor roadmap also offers inspiration for shaping hybrid working.

The coming period will be a common learning process, in which we continue to shape the above principles together. I hope that together we can develop our interpretation at THUAS.

Workplace (at the university and at home)

How can I better organize my home workplace?

Do you want to improve your home workplace? Via iFrontoffice > Workplace staff member, an extra option has been added: Home workplace. Via this option you can request various items on loan, such as:

  • A standard office chair;
  • Various IT resources, such as a screen, replicator or mouse.

It's also possible to request workplace advice (remotely). Want to know more about this loan option? Go to iFrontoffice > Workplace staff member > Home workplace.

I have a specially adapted chair at work. May I take it home temporarily?

It is possible to order a standard office chair on loan. This can be done via iFrontoffice > Workplace staff member > Home workplace. Here you will find all the necessary information about this loan arrangement. If you brought a chair or a monitor from your physical workplace at the beginning of the crisis, you do not need to exchange or return it at this stage.

Traveling for work

Are business and group trips still allowed?

Foreign travel is permitted to countries with a code green or yellow, whereby the measures of the government in the home country and the country of destination apply. Within the Netherlands, there are no restrictions.